Monday, February 13, 2012

BOOKS in the NEWS!




-Remember how much I love Catherine Webb? Yah, we all do. Anyhow, I found this lovely podcast interview of her answering questions of adorable students. I had never heard her speak before (although I, of course, read her often and follow her well-written blog

-To celebrate the 100th anniversary of Stephen Leacock's Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town set in the fictional Mariposa (a stand-in for my hometown of Orillia), the CBC made a really boring tv movie filmed in Gravenhurst. I watched about 23 minutes. Leacock was rather like Canada's Mark Twain in ways. Shame that this had to happen to him.

-I love the Classic Trash series at The Awl. I especially liked this write-up of that Golden Book of WTF-ery, The Thorn Birds: made into an equally creepy TV movie starring Richard Chamberlain (who spends more time eye-snogging with Christopher Plummer than actually acting on his forbidden lust for Rachel Ward).  Anyways, funny-as-heck book written in a funny-as-heck article.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I followed the last link and came upon the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure version of "House of Mirth." Oh, my gosh. So true. I love poor, dear, messed-up Lily, but it was SO TRUE>